This waldorf unchicken salad recipe is a plant‐based recipe – adapted + perfected by Adrienne Leigh Hoyt
- 1 package, tempeh
- 1 organic Granny Smith apple, diced (keep skin on-‐ sprinkle with lemon juice to avoid browning)
- ½ toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- ½ cup red or yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup organic red grapes, sliced in half or ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup of veganaise or other vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup water with 2 teaspoons soy or tamari sauce
- optional garnish Italian flat-‐leaf parsley, chopped
Tempeh preparation: preheat oven to 375. Microwave your tempeh for 1 minute to loosen it up a little‐ then take it out of the microwave, flip it over and microwave it for another minute. Next cut your tempeh into small, thin cubes and layer evenly in a roasting pan (pan must have sides). Pour the water/soy or tamari mix over the tempeh (make sure it just covers the tempeh). Roast until all the liquid is gone ‐ about 30 minutes depending on your oven. Stir gently once or twice while it’s roasting. Remove from oven and let it cool.
Dressing preparation: in a medium bowl, mix the vegan mayo and mustard together. Add apple, celery, walnuts, onions and grapes (or cranberries). Gently fold in the tempeh.
Serve on salad greens or on your favorite bread.
If you are making this during the summertime and don’t want to heat up the kitchen with your oven, you can skip the microwave step and just soak the tempeh in the water/soy sauce or tamari mix for an hour or 2 in the refrigerator. Remove from marinade, sauté on the stovetop for 10 minutes until its brown on all sides, and then proceed with the recipe.